Saturday, October 19, 2013

How I Fed My Family for Less Than $15.00 for 5 Days!

Occasionally, I do what we call in our house a Panty Clean-Out.  Sometimes, I need to cut back on the grocery budget for one reason or another.  Or sometimes, I just notice we have too much stuff in the pantry or freezer.  I start by taking a quick visual inventory of what we have on hand.  Then, I scan the Publix sale ad to see what I can get cheap that week.  Finally, I hit Pinterest in search of recipes that use mostly what we already have. 

Last week was "Pay the IRS everything we have week" at our house so I needed to save as much as possible.  Here's how I spent under $15.00 and fed my family for 5 days:

Monday: Chicken Enchiladas in the crockpot
Chicken - we had in the freezer
Taco Dinner Kit - we had in the pantry from an old BOGO sale
Enchilada Sauce - $2.99
Cheese - we always have cheese!
Green Onions - $0.99
Cilantro - from the garden
Total Meal Cost: $3.98

Tuesday: Meatball Subs
Large bag of meatballs - $2.50 (they were $4.99 and BOGO last week)
Jar of sauce - we always have sauce too!
Rolls $2.29
Mozzarella Cheese - $4.99 for a large block
Total Meal Cost: 9.78

Wednesday: Leftover Meatballs Smothered in Cheese
Total Meal Cost: FREE!

Thursday:  Spaghetti and Meatballs
Pasta - from pantry
Meatballs - leftover
Total Meal Cost: FREE!

Friday: Baked Penne
Penne Pasta - from pantry
Sauce - from pantry
Mozzarella Cheese - leftover from Tuesday
Total Meal Cost: FREE!

We don't normally eat this much meat or leftovers, but to save about $50 this week from my budget we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment