Monday, April 13, 2015

Quick & Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls | Nornee's Recipes

As I read through my grandmother's ("Nornee") cookbooks, I enjoy imagining what she cooked for her family when her children were young.  I've had her recipes for dishes I remember her making as I was growing up, but I wondered what she made years ago as a young wife and mother.  I asked my Papaw for some ideas so that I could recreate those meals for my family.   I hope you enjoy following along, I as work my way through her favorite meals adding some modern touches along the way.  
 
Bringing back Sunday Suppers
One of the family's favorite items were her "water rolls".  I scoured Nornee's old cookbooks in search of this "water roll" and came across a simple recipe for dinner rolls. Hopefully that's the one.  Really guys, it is SO easy.  Easy enough to do while entertaining a 3 year old.  So yesterday, K and I made some easy and quick dinner rolls for Sunday Supper.  We changed up the recipe just a bit and they turned out great.  "Best rolls ever" according to my bread loving husband.  Here's our take on my grandmother's dinner rolls. 



NORNEE's DINNER ROLLS

     1 package of yeast 
     1/4 cup of warm water 
     1 cup of hot milk
     2 tbs. of shortening (we used butter)
     2 tbs. of sugar (we used organic coarse sugar)
     1 tsp. of salt
     3 1/2 cups of flour (we used organic all purpose flour) 

Start by activating your package of yeast.  Combine your package of yeast in a bowl with the water.  Stir and set aside. 

Next, combine the milk and butter and allow to cool to lukewarm.  

Once the milk/butter mixture has cooled, add your activated yeast, sugar and salt. 

Slowly add flour, 1 cup at a time.  

Next, beat the mixture until it forms a smooth dough.  I added the bread hook to my mixture, and let my son beat the dough for about 1 minute on a medium-high setting. 

Add the dough to a greased bowl, cover and allow it to rise in a warm place for about 2 hours.  

Once the dough has doubled in size, tear off small sections and form into 1 inch or so balls.  We made 12 rolls.  Brush with melted butter, if desired. 

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  

Enjoy!


~ Michelle 
     

2 comments:

  1. Could this be used in bread machine for the dough part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not. It came together much faster than a bread loaf dough though so you probably wouldn't need the machine. The mixing took just a minute and could have been done by hand except my kiddo needed something to "mix" :)

      Delete