Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas!

Christmas is just days away and people around me are stressed out and rushing around town for last minute gifts.  It's times like these I am thankful that I force myself to stay on a minimal budget and simplify the holidays.  While everyone else is trying to get their last-minute shopping done, I am spending the days celebrating with my family.  We spent the weekend playing in the backyard, BBQing, coloring, watching Christmas movies and making gingerbread houses.  Not one store was visited other than the grocery store.   
 
Last week was a tough one though and I found myself throwing pity parties left and right.  As I looked under the tree, I felt like I had failed everyone this year.  Not everyone in the family got gifts.  My son doesn't even have a proper stocking for Santa.  My car broke down.  Our A/C broke down (yes, in Florida we still NEED our A/C this time of year!).  It just wasn't a good week. 
 
It wasn't easy sticking to such an extreme budget this year.  I didn't have the time or energy to get as involved in planning and I never quite got into the Christmas spirit.  I wish I could give my family the world but I just can't.  I have to keep reminding myself that what we are working towards will be far more valuable than one year's Christmas gift. 
 
I will spend the next few days cherishing the memories and enjoying the gifts God has provided to me - those that cannot be purchased at any store.
 
From our family to yours, we wish you a very Merry Christmas!
 
Merry Christmas 2013
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. It's the moments they will remember, not the things. We have small Christmas's, too. You're right; the big goal you are working toward is worth the sacrifices. Maybe in more ways than you anticipate. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete