Thursday, January 2, 2014

Anxiety: My greatest character flaw

One of the things I've realized this past year is that I worry way too much.  I mean, it's not a news flash but I really realized what it does to me.  I am an anxious person by nature.  I hate change.  I hate not being 100% in control of every single thing.  That said, what I hate most is the person I become when I'm anxious.  I'm not pleasant and I take it out on myself and everyone around me. 
 
I worked very hard over the past few months to really let go of this anxiety and trust in God's plan.  I try to turn to prayer when I'm feeling overwhelmed or worried about the future.  Sometimes, it's easy. Other times, it's not. 
 
The past few days I can feel myself becoming more and more anxious.  Before I left the house this morning, Sam said to me "Man, you're a mean person the past few days!".  Ouch.  I thought about it on my drive to work and he's right.  I'm stressed and worried.  I'm anxious and taking it out on those around me. 
 
I need to remind myself that I am not in control of my destiny.  He has a plan and I need to trust it. 
 
 
How do you handle stress? 
 

2 comments:

  1. I am a SUPER anxious/worrying person as well so know that you are not alone.

    I also become a VERY mean and hurtful person when I'm in the anxious/worry zone!!!

    And change....dont even get me started. Just hearing friends New Year's Resolutions upsets/worriers me cause I feel am I going to be part of their change??

    I think the item I worry about is what people think or view Me, my husband, and Xander. Its CONSTANTLY on my mind and thoughts.

    What do I do to handle this stress.....I have a long commute so being in the car alone with no radio and just silence calms me. I also do some breathing of like longggg breathes in and longggg breathes out (does that make sense). Decluttering my frig or pantry by myself completely calms me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to really care about others' opinion but then I realized the people I was so worried about had far from perfect lives themselves - they were in the middle of divorces or foreclosures or some other crisis... Life isn't always what it seems and in the grand sceme of things, I have it pretty good.

    Feel free to come declutter my house anytime :)

    ReplyDelete