Monday, February 24, 2014

Comparison is the thief of MY joy.

comparison...Thomas Jefferson quote.

I've said it before; one of my biggest flaws is how I compare myself- my things, my family, my job, everything - to other people.  I have to make a conscious effort every single day to find happiness in the present.  Not wishing for more of anything.  Not more time.  Not more money.  Not a bigger house.  It's been a constant battle for me as long as I can remember.  

Over the past year, I've really been working hard to find peace and rid myself of negativity.  Most days I do really well and I've been very proud of the changes I've made.  I'm genuinely content with where I am right now.  I'm happy being a family of 3 in a middle-class neighborhood.  I'm happy driving my "old" car.  I'm happy with my career.  But ... 

Sometimes it only takes one person, or one situation, to make me think otherwise.  It takes just one afternoon at a friend's amazing house surrounded by successful people - much more so than I will ever be - to make me leave feeling like that insecure little girl I was when I was 12.   The fact that I can let something so insignificant affect me makes me furious.  

I head into this week battling these feelings and struggling to mind contentment and peace again.  I have so much to be thankful for.  

Like this -



M



No comments:

Post a Comment