Friday, May 30, 2014

Career or Family: Can you have it all?

 
Lately, I've been put to the test with balancing work and family-life.  The legal field is not exactly known for its carefree work environment and while I am very fortunate to work in a firm that promotes family life there are times when 12 plus hour days, traveling, and working the entire weekend are required.  It's just the nature of what we do.  I absolutely love what I do and I'm grateful that my career is able to provide things for my family financially that we could not otherwise afford like private school and last minute getaways.  But preparing for a trial and being Supermom just don't coincide.  

Kyran is in preschool now which just means extra duties I was not anticipating at this age ... like making cute lunches, teacher appreciation gifts, themed weeks, and end of the school year parties.  In this age of social media we are bombarded with photos and comments by other moms - you know the ones.  Super cute handmade gifts for teachers or other students.  Playing outside in middle of the afternoon.  Homemade cookies.  Pinterest.  Things that us working moms only dream of being able to accomplish.  We can't help but to feel envious of one another or perhaps even inferior to one another.  

It's an accomplishment if I'm able to keep us all alive and the house relatively clean in a week (read: plates make their way to the kitchen... we're not talking Martha Stewart Home here!).  There's just not enough hours in the day to do everything.  I feel strongly about being a working mother - I think it provides lessons to my son that far exceed the financial aspect.  But I do sometimes wish I could be that vision of the Stay at Home Mom.  

So, is it possible to have it all?  Is it possible to be a stellar career lady, while being Supermom and a great wife?  I don't know.  Maybe I already have it all.  





No comments:

Post a Comment