Thursday, September 19, 2013

Chronicles of a Working Momma - The Dreaded Commute

Each morning, I pack Kyran up and make the LONG drive into Tampa, drop him off at the babysitter’s house, and head to work.  I work all day then make the LONG drive back home.  Door to door takes us roughly 1 hour and 30 minutes each way - given there’s no crazy traffic, accidents, buses, or trains.  We leave the house at 7:15 a.m. and get home around 6:15 p.m.  To sum it up…It sucks!

When I’m stuck in the car this long, it’s easy to get consumed with negativity.  In reality, we are quite fortunate.  Our drive takes us through some pretty rough areas of town - drug deals, prostitutes, homeless people, or mothers walking their children to the public bus stops or work in the sweltering Florida heat are daily sightings.  I am reminded that we have a wonderful life and so much to be thankful for.  I have a job that requires me to make this commute.  I have a reliable vehicle that takes us there safely.  I have wonderful childcare.  I try to remind myself of these blessings daily; and although he doesn’t understand yet, I explain to Kyran why we are fortunate each morning. 

On the most annoying days - those when I dream of a 15 commute or getting home before the sun goes down - I am always reminded of something someone once told me.  “Wow, it’s great that you get so much time in the car with your son.  By the time I get my kids loaded up, it’s only a 5 minute drive to where I drop them off and we don’t get to talk much.”  This simple statement has resonated with me and gotten me through many a long drive. 

When I think back, the car is where I’ve probably developed the relationship I have with my son.  We spend hours each day practicing his ABCs, counting to 20, pointing out different colors, shapes and objects, singing my own version of Wheels on the Bus that goes something like “the wheels on momma’s car go round, and round, and round, and round, and round….(you get the idea) all the way to Tampa”.

In a perfect world, I could work 5 minutes from the house, be home more, and not torture my child with a twice-a-day road trip.  However, our circumstances require otherwise.  So until Sam wins the lottery (which he swears will happen one day), we will continue our daily trek to Tampa and make the most of it. 

Do you commute?  How do you survive the drive?    


No comments:

Post a Comment